If you’re interested in using the Polygon network (previously known as Matic) with your Metamask wallet, you’ve come to the right place. In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of connecting Polygon to Metamask, allowing you to seamlessly navigate the Polygon ecosystem and take advantage of its low transaction fees and high scalability.
Before we begin, make sure you have the latest version of Metamask installed on your browser. If you don’t have Metamask yet, you can easily download it from the official website and set up a new wallet. Once you’re ready, follow these simple steps to connect Polygon to Metamask:
Step 1: Open your Metamask extension
Click on the Metamask icon in your browser’s toolbar to open the extension. If you’re using Metamask for the first time, you’ll be prompted to create a new wallet or import an existing one. Follow the on-screen instructions to get started.
Step 2: Access the network settings
In the Metamask extension, locate the network selector dropdown on the top of the screen. By default, it should be set to “Main Ethereum Network.” Click on it to open the list of available networks.
Step 3: Add the Polygon network
Scroll down the list of networks and click on “Custom RPC” at the bottom. This will allow you to manually add a new network. In the “New RPC URL” field, enter “https://rpc-mainnet.matic.network” and provide a name for the network, such as “Polygon” or “Matic.” Leave the other fields blank and click on “Save.”
Step 4: Switch to the Polygon network
Once you’ve added the Polygon network, it will appear in the network selector dropdown. Click on it to switch from the Ethereum network to the Polygon network. Metamask will now be connected to Polygon.
That’s it! You have successfully connected Polygon to Metamask. Now you can explore the Polygon ecosystem, interact with dApps, and enjoy fast, low-cost transactions. Remember to switch back to the Ethereum network if you want to access your Ethereum assets or use Ethereum-based dApps. Happy Polygon discovering!
Step 1: Installing Metamask Extension
To connect Polygon to your Metamask wallet, you will need to have the Metamask extension installed on your browser. If you don’t already have it installed, follow these steps to install it:
- Open your preferred browser and navigate to the Metamask website.
- Click on the “Get Chrome Extension” or “Get Firefox Extension” button, depending on your browser.
- You will be redirected to the Chrome Web Store or Firefox Add-ons page. Click on the “Add to Chrome” or “Add to Firefox” button to start the installation.
- A pop-up will appear, asking for confirmation to install the extension. Click the “Add extension” button to proceed.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see the Metamask icon added to your browser’s toolbar.
- Click on the Metamask icon to open the extension.
- You will be presented with the Metamask welcome screen. Click on the “Get Started” button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your Metamask wallet. This will include creating a new wallet or importing an existing one.
- Make sure to securely store your Metamask seed phrase, as it will be needed to access your wallet in the future.
- Once you have successfully set up your Metamask wallet, you are ready to proceed to the next step.
By following these steps, you have installed the Metamask extension on your browser. Now you can move on to connecting Polygon to your Metamask wallet and start exploring the world of decentralized applications on the Polygon network.
Step 2: Adding the Polygon Network to Metamask
Once you have successfully installed Metamask and created your account, the next step is to add the Polygon network to Metamask. Follow the steps outlined below to complete this process:
|Click on the Metamask extension icon in your browser’s toolbar to open the Metamask popup window.
|In the Metamask popup window, click on the network dropdown located at the top of the window. By default, it should display the Ethereum Mainnet.
|Scroll to the bottom of the network dropdown and click on the “Custom RPC” option.
|In the “New RPC URL” field, enter the following URL: https://rpc-mainnet.maticvigil.com/
|Set the “Chain ID” field to 137. This is the chain ID for the Polygon Mainnet.
|Optionally, you can enter a custom name and symbol for the network in the “Network Name” and “Currency Symbol” fields.
|Click the “Save” button to add the Polygon network to Metamask.
Once you have completed these steps, you should see the Polygon network listed in the network dropdown of the Metamask popup window. You can now switch to the Polygon network to interact with Polygon-based dApps and tokens.
Step 3: Getting MATIC Tokens
Now that you have successfully connected Polygon to your Metamask wallet, the next step is to acquire MATIC tokens. MATIC is the native cryptocurrency of the Polygon network and is required to perform transactions and interact with dApps on the platform.
Here are a few ways to get MATIC tokens:
- Purchase from a crypto exchange: You can buy MATIC tokens from popular cryptocurrency exchanges such as Binance, Coinbase, or Kraken. Simply create an account on the exchange, deposit your desired amount of funds, and then trade it for MATIC.
- Use a decentralized exchange (DEX): You can also acquire MATIC tokens through decentralized exchanges like Uniswap or SushiSwap. These platforms allow you to trade cryptocurrencies directly from your wallet without the need for a central authority.
- Earn through staking or farming: Some protocols on the Polygon network offer opportunities to earn MATIC tokens by staking or providing liquidity. You can explore platforms like Aave, Curve Finance, or Sushiswap to participate in these activities.
- Receive as a transfer: If you have friends or acquaintances who already possess MATIC tokens, they can send some to your wallet address.
Make sure you have enough MATIC tokens in your wallet to cover transaction fees and use the various features of the Polygon network. It’s important to keep in mind that transaction fees on Polygon are paid in MATIC tokens, so maintaining an adequate balance is essential.
Step 4: Connecting Metamask to a Polygon-compatible DApp
Once you have successfully added the Polygon network to your Metamask wallet, you can start connecting it to Polygon-compatible decentralized applications (DApps). This will allow you to interact with various blockchain-based services that are built on Polygon.
To connect Metamask to a Polygon-compatible DApp, follow these steps:
Step 1: Open your Metamask wallet extension or mobile app.
Step 2: Ensure that your wallet is connected to the Polygon network. You can do this by clicking on the network selection button on the top of the wallet interface and selecting “Polygon Mainnet” or “Polygon Testnet” from the dropdown menu.
Step 3: Navigate to the DApp or website that you want to connect Metamask to. Make sure that the DApp supports the Polygon network and has the necessary integration.
Step 4: Once you are on the DApp’s website, you may need to find a “Connect” or “Login” button to initiate the connection process. Click on this button.
Step 5: A pop-up window will appear, displaying a list of wallet options. Select “Metamask” from the list.
Step 6: Metamask will prompt you to authorize the connection with the DApp. Review the permission details and click on the “Connect” or “Authorize” button to continue.
Step 7: After authorizing the connection, you will be redirected back to the DApp’s interface. Metamask will now be connected to the DApp, and you can start using its features and services.
It’s important to note that some DApps may require you to sign transactions or provide additional permissions in order to fully utilize their functionalities. Make sure to review and understand the terms and conditions of each DApp before interacting with it.
With Metamask connected to a Polygon-compatible DApp, you can now explore the vast ecosystem of blockchain applications and services on the Polygon network.
What is Metamask?
Metamask is a browser extension that allows users to interact with decentralized applications (dapps) on the Ethereum network. It serves as a digital wallet, allowing users to manage their Ethereum accounts, store and send Ether, and interact with smart contracts.
What is Polygon (previously Matic Network)?
Polygon is a layer 2 scaling solution for Ethereum, designed to improve scalability and reduce transaction fees. It allows developers to build and deploy decentralized applications on top of its network, benefiting from faster confirmation times and lower fees compared to the Ethereum mainnet.